Monday, December 03, 2007

Advent, Advent, ein Lichtlein brennt!

In Austria it´s tradition to have an Adventkranz with 4 candles which are lit, one after the other, on the last 4 Sundays before Christmas. We all went for a walk on Saturday and collected twigs, fir branches and dried leaves to make our own Kranz. With some sheets of newspaper and thin wire, it´s easy to form a ring and then you add your branches and leaves, wrapping the wire around as you go. This is our table centre-piece up to Christmas when it´s replaced with a large plate of Christmas biscuits. I always start baking at the beginning of December for our annual Christmas market. One of the favourites is Rasberry stars. Here´s the recipe.
I cut out stars and make holes in half of them with a small piece of plastic tube before baking. After the biscuits have cooled down, put a teaspoon of rasberry jam on a star and top with another star(with a hole in it). Put all the stars next to each other and sprinkle with icing sugar.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sounds tasty! Wednesday. Thursday Sinterklaas will leave the country and then we are going to start Chrismas (we did light our adventcandle starting the firsxt

daisies said...

oh yummers :) your kranz is beautiful!! xox

Jorth said...

It sounds like such a lovely tradition!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

What a lovely idea, and so easy to get all the family involved. Might have a go myself. Merry Christmas to you and family.

Jamie said...

Looks scrumptious! It feels like the holidays have arrived at your house.

Marie said...

I love Christmas and the whole concept of Advent. It's so beautiful!

The biscuits look great and I'll be adding them to my Christmas baking. We have a Christmas star biscuit here in Sweden, which you may like to try for a change - it's easy and very pretty. Recipe and instructions here.

Julie said...

I just found your blog through mijk. Love the crats you do- and these 10 commandments are great! I hope to resolve the new year to catch up on my crafts. I am a single foster mom of one beautiful 17 month old so I get very little time to craft- I miss it! Love the rug!!

Berber said...

That looks so cosy and yummy!