Monday, December 31, 2007
Monday, December 24, 2007
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Monday, December 03, 2007
I cut out stars and make holes in half of them with a small piece of plastic tube before baking. After the biscuits have cooled down, put a teaspoon of rasberry jam on a star and top with another star(with a hole in it). Put all the stars next to each other and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Friday, November 23, 2007
Thursday November 23rd 2006.
What´s my creed? (Click here to find the link for the book)
Jamie got me thinking about this again after I read her recent post. There are rules we all live by...rules we were brought up with or taught along the way and rules we make for ourselves. I was born into a catholic home and I learnt about the 10 commandments at an early age. My family went to church often and I listened to what the priest had to say about loving thy neighbour and Jesus being our saviour but within my family I didn´t find the unconditional love that was preached about. I tried to be a church goer again after my children were born but I didn´t feel at home and after my marraige broke up, most sermons had me feeling like a loser.About 2 years ago I found a book called "Message from Forever" by Marla Morgan. It´s a story about finding yourself and finding your roots. At the end of this book there are 10 "you should" commandments that the Australian Aborigines live by. I do my best to remember them and live by them and although I don´t always succeed I know that they are right for me. Here they are:
1. You are to express your own creativity
2. Recognize that you carry responsibility
3. Before your birth you consented to help others
4. You are to attain emotional maturity
5. You should be entertaining
6. You should be a good manager of your energy
7. You should enjoy music
8. You should strive for wisdom
9. You are to learn self discipline
10.You are to observe without judging
There are explanations for all of these and if you want to know more, I encourage you to read the book.
Friday, November 09, 2007
Monday, October 29, 2007
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Thursday, October 04, 2007
Wednesday, September 05, 2007
We have just arrived back from a wonderful holiday in the area around Lake Garda in Italy. It was so good to get away for a while...sun, water, relaxation and exploring were so enjoyed by all of us after the troubles that have marked our lives lately. We are soon leaving this much loved house behind us and moving to a nearby town where 2 of my children go to school - Bad St. Leonhard. We have found a large appartment there to rent and I am about to get started on painting the walls as they are all white...and that doesn´t even count as a colour as far as I´m concerned. We will have moved in by the 1st of October and although I´m really looking forward to living somewhere a little more livelier and practical than here and decorating and making a new start with Erich and the children, it is breaking my heart to leave this house. I have a song on my ipod - I have no idea who the artist is - and one line is "it will be just as quiet when I leave, as it was when I first got here"...time to go and make some noise somewhere new.
Thursday, August 09, 2007
AND THE WINNER IS......
ANNE IN OXFORDSHIRE!!!
Congratulations, send your address to me at kangoo1atgmxdotat and your little gift can be on it´s merry way!
Saturday, August 04, 2007
*We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
*Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
*People who are tagged write their own blog post about their eight things and include these rules.
*At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged and they should read your blog.
I´ve decided to write about 8 things that have made me smile over the last few weeks...
A package from Darlene, my partner in the tea-towel swap and from Mirre because she´s a lovely and generous person.
A beautiful new magazine my boss bought for me on a holiday in France.
The film "Little Miss Sunshine. (I adore Toni Colette!)
Our amazing cat Larry who thinks he´s a human.
Eating breakfast outside.
My first Japanese craft book (atlast!) which I bought here. Now I know what all the fuss is about.
My new journal.
Here are 8 blogs that I visit regularly but aren´t yet in my side bar...
Denise, Shim and Sons, KC Quilts, Heather Bailey, Darlene, Rainbow, Mollychicken,Mommycoddle, you´re all tagged if you like!
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Mashed potatoes with green beans. Peel potatotoes, cut into large chunks(leave whole if the potatoes are small) and boil in a little water until soft and falling apart. Meanwhile, boil or steam green beans. Add enough milk to cover the potatoes aswell as a little butter and salt. Mash the potatoes, fold in the green beans and serve.
Carrots in spiced butter. Steam carrots and place in a serving dish. Melt butter in a small pan and add a little curry powder, koriander and a spoon full of crunchy peanut butter. Pour this over the hot carrots and serve. (This is a meal in itself with some basmati or jasmin rice).
Grilled zuchini. Heat up your outside griller. Put some olive oil in a small jug or jar and add fresh herbs( rosmary, thyme, oregano, garlic, basil, chives, whatever you like). Cut zuchini into thick slices and when the griller is hot, roast on each side for about 8 minutes. Put the zuchini in a serving dish and pour the herb oil on top. Let this sit for about 30 minutes before serving.
Dessert: semolina pudding (I use a vanilla pudding mix for this one) . Heat up milk according to the pudding instructions and add an extra cup of milk. When hot, add 3 tablespoons of semolina and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Then add sugar and pudding mix according to the instructions. Pour into a mould and leave until cold. Turn onto a serving plate and pour rasberry sauce over the top before eating.
If you want to serve this all together then make the pudding a few hours before, the zuchini about an hour before and then the potatoes and the carrots. MAHLZEIT!
Thursday, July 26, 2007
We are enjoying a wonderful summer - long, hot days reading in the shade, swimming at the local pool, eating outside and keeping the garden watered. We have 2 large water tanks - one collects the rainwater from the greenhouse roof and the other one collects the water from the back roof of the house. This year it has rained regularly so I haven´t had to turn on the tap to water anything. I also collect the cold water from the shower (while I´m waiting for it to warm up) in a bucket and that´s enough to keep our indoor plants watered. The vegetables in the garden are maturing much earlier this year and aswell as eating them fresh, I´ve started stocking up our pantry for winter. I am so grateful for this garden and when we move house that is high on the list of must haves - I would hate to have to buy all my vegetables again and start worrying about pesticides and the long trip a head of salad has behind it before it reaches my local supermarket. For those of you who don´t have a garden, try your local farmer´s market. We have an abundance of green beans, zuchinis and spring onions this year and I spent yesterday afternoon making chutney and zuchini slices with herbs. I think you call chutney relish in the US, it´s a sweet and sour mix of vegetables that you eat with meats or bread or roasted potatoes. Basically, you just use a bit of oil to fry some spring onions and then you add diced zuchini and pieces of green beans(you can make this with almost any other veges too). Add tomato paste or pasta sauce or curry paste aswell as any other herbs and spices that you like and a little salt and pepper. The magic ingredient is cider vinegar (how much depends on how much chutney you´re making. Start with a dash, taste and go on from there)- it gives the chutney a kick. Let the whole lot cook on low for about an hour until it´s thick and saucy and spoon the mixture into clean jars while it´s still hot. It will keep up to 6 months in a cool place, about 3 days after you open the jar. For the zuchini slices, layer slices in jars, add herbs (rosmary or oregano are my favourites) and some mustard seads. Put a mix of cider vinegar and water (1:1) in a pot and boil, add some salt and spices (chilli powder, koriander, anything you have at home). Pour over the zuchinis while hot, about 3/4 of the way up is enough as the zuchinis will lose some liquid. Put the jar lids on tight and place them on the middle oven rack and sterilise at 90°C for 30 minutes. These are great with mozarella cheese and bread or mixed in a salad. I love going to the cellar during the colder months and choosing condiments that I know grew in my garden. Stay tuned for more recipes this week!
Monday, July 16, 2007
Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Sunday, July 08, 2007
Friday, July 06, 2007
Wednesday, July 04, 2007
Thursday, June 28, 2007
I was honored to see that domesticali tagged me for a meme, so here it is!
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? I have no idea.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? I think last week, watching “The Holiday”.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING Yes, it´s all curly and artistic.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LUNCH MEAT? Roast beef.
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? 3 boys
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? Yes, I´d love to hang around with me.
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? Yes, it´s mostly misunderstood but I get alot of laughs out of it.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS Yes, but I said goodbye to my apendix when I was 12.
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? No, I saw a vidoe once where a bungee jumper got the rope caught around his kneck and I´d be terrified of this happening.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CEREAL? Coco Pops.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? No.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Does being strong mean being able to take a lot of crap or not taking any crap? I´m better at the first and getting better at the second.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ICE CREAM? A Golden Gaytime – if you´re an Aussie you know what this is, to anyone else it may sound kinky.
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? If they look me in the eyes. 15. RED OR PINK? Both.
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVOURITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? My thin hair.
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST My best friend back in Australia, Lydia.
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? huh?
19. WHAT COLOUR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Short jeans, no shoes.
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? Fresh bread topped with a fried egg and cheese.
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? 2WS, a Sydney radio station.
22. IF YOU WHERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOUR WOULD YOU BE? One of those rainbow ones.
23. FAVOURITE SMELLS? Fresh cut grass (reminds me of Aussia summers), Paris perfume (reminds me of my first day at work), baby powder (reminds me of my kids when they were babies).
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? Boyfriend.
25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Yes, although I don´t know her very well yet.
26. FAVOURITE SPORTS TO WATCH? Swimming.
27. HAIR COLOUR? Between brown and red.
28. EYE COLOUR? Between green and blue.
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? Yes.
30. FAVOURITE FOOD? A good steak or prawns.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? I hate scary movies.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? Children of men, it really scared me.
33. WHAT COLOUR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? Blue tie-dyed.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER? SUMMER!!!
35. HUGS OR KISSES? I can´t choose.
37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Huh?
38. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? Huh?
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? The Bride Stripped bare – very sexy.
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?I don´t have one.
41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON T.V. LAST NIGHT? Dr. House, there was nothing else on.
42. FAVOURITE SOUND? The kids running up the stairs after school.
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Rolling Stones.
44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? I have called a lot of places home - mainly Sydney and Reichenfels and they are 15.981 kilometers or 9930 miles or 8629 nautical miles apart.
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? I can sing.
46. WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Styria, Austria.
47. WHAT SUPERPOWER WOULD YOU LIKE? I´d like to be able to beam myself, being able to make myself invisible would be great too!
Thursday, June 14, 2007
Thursday, May 17, 2007
I want to reach above myself, stay calm and strong and focused so I don´t get emotional every time I am reminded of just how little the children and I mean to him.
If worse comes to worse, Erich and I will pack up the children and find a new home and start a new adventure but that would be very hard for me so keep your fingers crossed for us.
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Thursday, May 03, 2007
Thursday, April 19, 2007
Sunday, April 08, 2007
Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Slowly, ever so slowly it´s getting warmer around here but just last week our garden was still full of snow. I´m having trouble keeping my spirits up in this gloomy weather so I´m crafting with all the spring colours I can find...Fernfern sent me some lovely paper and I used it to make a little paper quilt and I´ve started sewing a range of cheery bags. I hope it´s warm and sunny where you are!
Sunday, April 01, 2007
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
To all those hardworking women out there - don´t forget to reward yourselves! You can adapt a deck like this to any chores OR make just a reward deck to shuffle whenever you need a little something to brighten your day.
Friday, March 23, 2007
More Scribblings here,
more photos of my kitchen and my home here.
Sunday, March 18, 2007
The prompt "Inspiration" urges me to talk about the shift in thinking that I mentioned a few weeks ago. The book The Crafter´s Companion came along at just the right time for me and I thought it would be fun to try to make all the projects in the book. I didn´t realise how moving all the stories about the bloggers in the book would be for me and while I went through making each item I thought about the experiences of the person who designed it, which role crafting, selling and creating plays in their life and also in my own life.