Sunday, October 05, 2008

Apple Harvest

We are so lucky to live in an area where apples grow in abundance. I have a few friends who call me around this time of year and offer me baskets of apples. My favourite thing to do with them is eat them fresh ofcourse but I also like to make apple sauce...it´s so easy. I make it in batches over a few days while I cook dinner so it doesn´t use up a lot of extra time. Here´s how: give the apples a quick rinse, quarter and deseed them and put them in a large pot with a little water. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer for about 45minutes. Purée with a blender or bamix. Place some clean jars in a shallow dish of hot water and pour the apple sauce into the jars while hot. Use a potholder to put the lids on tightly. After the jars have cooled down and "popped" they keep in a cool place for atleast half a year. I use apple sauce in all cake and muffin recipes in place of butter or oil - a lot healthier and cheaper and tastier too.

3 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I wonder what the technical difference is between apple sauce and apple butter? They seem so similar. I love the pics and this is my favourite time of year, apple picking is one of my favourite childhood memories.

Laume said...

Really, you can replace butter or oil with applesauce? I'm curious. I'll have to experiment. But I'm wary - maybe I'll start out by replacing a portion of oil or butter with applesauce. Thanks for the "challenge".

zarah said...

lovely :)