Monday, June 05, 2006

A Day Trip



Yesterday I woke up thinking"let´s go!". We packed some drinks and snacks, got in the car and headed south without really knowing where we wanted to go. I like to do round trips so that I get to see more rather than head home the way we came. We drove the 1 1/2 hours to the Slowenian border and walked around the banks of the Drau river in Dravograd before driving back into Austria and over the Soboth. We had lunch at the Soboth Dam See Café just as it started to rain and walked around Soboth which is a real little Austrian village. There was some wonderful scenery driving over the mountain and the kids loved catching glimpses of the Drau the further away we got. The quaint city of Deutschlandsberg is on the other side and there we found a lovely park and unfortunately some pretty shitty cafés. A big part of a day out for me is the food, it´s such a treat to eat out and not have to cook. The prices of cakes, strudels and coffee has become a joke here since the change from schillings to Euros...€2,30 for a coffee and €2,50 (about US$3,24) for a piece of cake that is gone in 5 bites - I can bake a whole cake for the same price. We headed home over another pass called Packsattel and got home at 7pm. The children checked where we´d been on the map and we all agreed that it had been a wonderful day trip and we should do it more often!

8 comments:

Kali said...

I love to have spontaneous trips like this one. It really sounds lovely, and its nice that one and all enjoyed it. Also being in Europe it seems that there are so many places close by, without having to travel huge distances.

Jennifer S. said...

sounds great (minus the cafes) I love spontaneous day trips. what beautiful countryside.

Jamie said...

What a wonderful spontaneous day! I'm inspired :)

When I was in Holland people said the same thing about the shift to Euros. What a drag.

Oh, and Claudia, there are Nia class in Austria. I have no idea of they're close to you but if you go to http://www.nia-nia.com/NiaClasses/ and put in Austria, you get about 5 options. Good luck!

Jorth said...

What a lovely day that sounds to be!

Alex S said...

I never can believe that people actually get to LIVE where you do, and have access to such beauty for day trips such as you took today! (We here in Bushworld save for eons for our European vacations!) So glad you hopped in the car and went, inspiring yourselves and now your fortunate readers. (& I just want you to know that I have a package in the works still to arrive on an undisclosed date this summer!) xoxo

meghan said...

what a day! I can't stop looking at the photo of the crazy roof. I want to come there & see it for myself!!!

HoBess said...

Sounds fabulous. I'm always about the food on a daytrip, too. Even a sandwich tastes better when somebody makes it for you!

Laini Taylor said...

Oh how wonderful! To have such places so close at hand, SIGH! Europe.... I have such a craving. Glad you had such a nice day out all together!