Saturday, January 14, 2006

mosaic


mosaic
Originally uploaded by chestofdrawers.
I love it that I´m getting a lot of comments about our mosaic. Behind the mirror - which is from a small shop in Grado, Italy, there was an ugly chimney hole which kept staring at me after we decided to move our fireplace downstairs. One evening, while sitting on the couch watching tv, my eyes kept drifting over to the hole and I decided to do something about it so I collected a few tiles left over from tiling the kitchen floor, the bathroom and others that I´d begged off friends after they´d finished various tiling and I hammered away at them. There was also some leftover building glue in the cellar so I made a rough drawing of a tree as I liked the idea of a tree growing in the middle of the house and I started glueing. I really enjoyed myself with this project...previously the wall behind it was yellow but my boyfriend talked me into filling the joints white and painting the wall white - now it´s perfect. I must admit, I love looking into other people´s homes, seeing how the different personalities shine out in the furnishings and accessories...this flickr group has made it possible for me without going for long walks around town with the hope that someone will have their curtains open so I can have a peek - and people thinking I´m a weirdo when they catch me!
THANKYOU Amanda for your amazing idea and for the lovely glimpses into your day to day life on your website.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Oooh, that is such an awesome Flickr group. I absolutely share your passion for seeing people's houses and how they express their personalities in them. When my husband and I bought our home, half the fun was the viewings! I couldn't get enough. It's amazing to me how different people are.

And my propensity for seeing through windows noticing what colours people are painting their living rooms has rightfully earned me the label of snoop. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one ;) Hehe.

Jim Di Bartolo said...

I stumbled on your site from reading your comment on my friend's site (Alexandra G). Your creativity with crafts (purses, knit vases, buttons, and especially the mosaic!) is shared by us and so many of the friends my wife and I have made in Portland, Oregon. I love that you weren't intimidated to do the mosaic yourself -- GREAT stuff :)

Best,
Jim